Gwendolyn Catherine Tennyson, commonly known as Gwen Tennyson in her teenage years and childhood, is a character in 5 Years Later who first appeared in Chapter 2: The Lonely Ghost. She is the cousin of Ben Tennyson and the girlfriend of Kevin Levin.
In her Human form, Gwendolyn has red hair, green eyes, and Caucasian skin. She has a slim and athletic body. She has worn many different outfits throughout 5 Years Later.
In her Sorceress form, her skin turns purple, while her hair grows in length and glows a bright pink and white glow. She wears her Lucky Girl costume in this form.
In her Anodite form, Gwen's body becomes a dark purple construct of pure mana. Her hair becomes a stream of glowing pink energy, which grows longer than normal, reaching her feet. Gwen loses a majority of her externally visible facial features such as a nose or ear and does not wear any clothing in this form. In this form, her skin gives off a purple glow.
Even when she was 10, Gwendolyn was intelligent and mature for her age, but at the same time, she was stubborn and smart-mouthed when it came to talking with Ben. Her quick thinking and good instincts gave her an edge in dealing with dangerous situations. She's sometimes too trusting of people who would want to exploit her goodwill, leading her (or others) into harm's way.
As she got older, she became even more mature, as well as more caring and sympathetic. She grew a tight bond with Ben as well.
Gwendolyn is willing to forgive villains for their wrongdoings (the most notable being Kevin) if she believes they've changed for the better. Although her intelligence and knowledge have only increased, she's not completely free of her naiveté and can be arrogant at times as well.
Despite being far more mature and reasonable than Ben and Kevin, Gwendolyn is somewhat hotheaded and can lose control of her Mana if angered enough.
- "She's been studying the mystic arts for over a decade now."
- ―Ben Tennyson
- Mana Manipulation and Energy Control- Gwen can create energy blasts, shields, and barriers out of Mana. She can also heal people with this ability.
- Spells- Gwendolyn has a large array of spells. A list of Spells that she has used in 5 Years can be found here.
- Telekinesis- Gwen is able to lift people and objects with her Mana.
- Athletics and Martial Arts- Gwendolyn is a capable gymnast and martial artist.
- Knowledge and Intelligence- Gwendolyn is known to be very intelligent and knowledgeable.
- Anodite Form- Gwen has the ability to turn into a full Anodite, boosting her powers by a significant amount.
- Charms of Bezel- Gwendolyn possesses 3 of Bezel's powerful charms of magic. The charm of Luck, the charm of Telekinesis, and the charm of Electrokinesis.
- Human Weaknesses- Although she is one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy and the most powerful being in her home dimension, Gwen is still only human. If she is caught by surprise, weakened, or simply not strong enough to face a certain foe, she can be killed as any human could.
- Summoning Limit- Kuro confirmed Gwen has a limit with how many guardians she can summon, either from lack of power and experience, or from how many guardians are free to answer her call.
Prior to 5 Years Later
Gwendolyn has since retired her Lucky Girl persona shortly before her teaching career began. During Gwendolyn's Senior Year of College, her identity was exposed to the entire campus in a battle with Darkstar. The student body was impressed and incredibly pleased to find it was one of their own students who was protecting the campus this entire time, and the campus offered her a position as Head Professor of Mystical Mythology. She's currently starting her second year of teaching.
5 Years Later
- In Chapter 2: The Lonely Ghost (Page 4), she was mentioned by Ben during his backstory.
- In Chapter 5: Oversight (Page 11-35), she joined Ben, Rook, and Danny to help them track down Vlad.
- In Chapter 6: Weightless (Page 5- 36), she fought against Vlad and Technus while Zim was absorbing the Dwarf star.
- In Chapter 7: Fold (Page 8- 49), she discussed with Ben about how to defeat Eon. She later joined him alongside Kevin and Danny, to battle The Alliance in the Keshawn Desert
- In Chapter 8: Risen (Page 1- 45), she fought against the Alternative Ben Tennysons.
- In Chapter 9: Time Out (Page 11- 36), she tries to go back in time, with Soarnitho assisting her, to prevent Eon's evolution. Eon takes notice of this and locks them out of the timestream, preventing them from going back in time. Eon later sends Gwen along with Rook and Kevin, to The Ghost Zone and Clockwork's Tower. There, they meet Professor Paradox and Clockwork, who are stuck in a time-loop.
- In Chapter 10: Again (Page 14- 18), Gwendolyn, along with Kevin, Zim, and GIR discuss Eon's constant rewinding of time upon each defeat with Professor Paradox and Clockwork, which has caused them to be stuck in a loop. Gwendolyn suggests a way for them to get Ben and Danny back to Clockwork's Tower by using GIR to open the gateway Divinity used to send them here.
5 Years Later
- Chapter 1: Alienated (mentioned)
- Chapter 2: The Lonely Ghost (first appearance; flashback; mentioned)
- Chapter 5: Oversight
- Chapter 6: Weightless
- Chapter 7: Fold
- Chapter 8: Risen
- Chapter 9: Time Out
- Chapter 10: Again
- She was born only minutes before Ben on December 27th, 1995.
- In 5YL, Gwendolyn has much more control over her Mana powers than shown in the Ben 10 series. This can be attributed to the five years of extra practice she had during the time-skip.